Someone Like YouSomeone Like You by Sarah Dessen
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book resonated with me.  It was such a deep book yet it never read like one.  Dessen hit on sex, teen pregnancy, choices, mother-daughter relationships, and friendships. The best review I feel I could give this book is let it speak for itself.

"If you sleep with him, it will change things," she said  "It has to.  And if he goes, you'll have lost more than just him.  So be sure, Halley.  Be real sure." (p 187)

There are some things in the world you rely on, like a sure bet. And when they let you down, shifting from where you've carefully placed them, it shakes your faith, right where you stand. (p 197)

The truth was I knew, after all those flat January days, that I deserved better.  I deserved I love yous and kiwi fruits and flowers and warriors coming to my door, besotted with love. I deserved pictures of my face in a million expressions, and the warmth of a baby's kick under my hand.  I deserved to grow, and to change, to become all the girls I could be over the course of my life, each one better than the last. (p 243) This right here. If I ever have a daughter, my goal in life will to be make sure I instill these thoughts into her.  We all deserve those things.  Never settle.  

"Why don't you ever wait a second and see what I'm planning, or thinking, before you burst in with your opinions and ideas? You never give me a chance ."
"Yes, I do," she said indignantly.
"No," I said. "You don't.  And then you wonder why I never tell you anything or share anything with you. I can never trust you with anything, give you any piece of me without you grabbing to keep for yourself."
"That's not true," she said slowly, but it was just now hitting her, I could see it. "Halley, you don't always know what's at stake, and I do."
"I will never learn," I said to her slowly, "until you let me." (p 244-245)


I watched my mother do what she did best, and realized there would never be a way to cut myself from her entirely.  No matter how strong or weak I was, she was a part of me, as crucial as my own heart.  I would never be strong enough, in all my life, to do without her. (p 275)


View all my reviews


Follow reederchik on Twitter

Comments

Popular Posts