Snow Storytime

Wow!  Today's toddler group was OUT OF CONTROL!  I imagine this will be how it will be until we get nice weather again.  Sheesh.  Raffi's Shake Your Sillies Out  may become a weekly song!

Songs:
Open Shut Them -opening song
Head Shoulders Knees and Toes - just to get them up and moving.  I tell you they were crazy!
The More We Get Together - Closing Song

Books- Toddler Time
Ten on the Sled by Kim Norman


Snowballs by Lois Ehlert


Mouse's First Snow by Lauren Thompson
\
Flannelboard Activites
I found this flannelboard from Felt Board Fingerplays by Liz and Dick Wilmes. I gave the children laminated snowflakes so they could participate as well.
Snow
Snow on my forehead,
Snow on my knee,
Snow on my glasses,
Getting hard to see.

Snow on my books, (changed to boots)
Snow on my hair,
Snow on my mittens,
Snow everywhere!

While they had their snowflakes, we sang Dance Like Snowflakes found at Mel's Desk

(tune of Are You Sleeping?)

Dance Like Snowflakes
Dance Like Snowflakes
In the air, in the air,
Swirling, whirling snowflakes
Swirling, whirling snowflakes,
Everywhere, everywhere.

 
Five Little Snowflakes


Five little snowflakes, dancing through the air
Higher and higher, without a single care.
Along comes a little boy who wants to run and play
A snowflakes lands upon his nose and melts away.

(I found this poem and the pattern for the snowflakes in a feltboard book at the last library I worked at.  I did not write down the title of the book.  I wish I had!  It had a great amount of resources. If I come across it again I will add it.)


Craft:
My coworker has the book Preschool Patterns: Early Learning TimesaversFor the craft, I copied the snowflake pattern and had the kids color a snowflake.  We have a tree by the reference desk that we decorate every season.  Once we get some laminating sheets (which is taking FOREVER), I will laminate them and hang the snowflakes on the tree.  I'll post pictures once we get that done.

Preschool Storytime Books
Ten on the Sled by Kim Norman
The Snowmen Pop-Up Book by Carakyn Buehner and Mark Buehner
Cat and Mouse in the Snow by Tomek Bogacki


Flannelboard Activites:
The First Day of Winter by Denise Flemming


I found this flannelboard at Making Learning Fun last year.  I was looking forward to using it again.  I usually have a much smaller crowd in Preschool Storytime but go figure, today is the day that it was huge.  Anyways, I had the book on the flannelboard as I had the kiddos come and help me build the snowman.  I think it looked close to the picture!

I also passed out the snowflakes to this group and did the Snow poem and the Snowflakes are Dancing song.

Craft
Snowflakes (Same craft as the toddlers).

It was a crazy day with those kids.  Anyone else experiencing the huge amounts of energy in their storytimes?

Follow reederchik on Twitter

Comments

Popular Posts