Divergent (Divergent, #1)Divergent by Veronica Roth


My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Divergent was such a fantastic story. I have been reading a ton of dystopian novels lately but this one was different. I liked that the story took place in Chicago. I really love the city of Chicago and I loved reading about what it could possibly look like in a not so distant future. For me, Roth’s descriptions of what Chicago could become were fantastic.


I also liked the idea of society being divided into different factions. I was reading this book about a week or two before Harry Potter’s movie finale came out. I kept thinking about Sorting Hats and different houses as I read Divergent. I liked the take on society that Roth had – dividing everyone into different fractions based on who they were as a person. The point behind this in this particular society, was to be able to use everyone’s strengths to better society in general. Each fraction had a different role in society but as always, humans seem to always be drawn to power in one way or another. One fraction, Abnegation, was the fraction in charge of the government. This fraction was considered to be the selfless fraction so they seemed to be the ones to best fit being the law makers and leaders. However, leaders in other fractions felt the need to have more power in the society and what once seemed to be a perfect balance of power, quickly tipped and the society felt the impact.

I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.

This quote really stood out to me. I have a feeling that the ordinary acts of bravery of our two main characters, Tris and Four, will be seen throughout this entire trilogy. I am so very much looking forward to it. I loved watching Tris go through her transformation. She went from a very selfless fraction to a very wild and dangerous fraction and she dug deep to find the courage and strength to become the brave woman that reader’s met at the end of the book. And the romance between the two of them is absolutely precious. Just love it.
Fantstic debut novel from Veronica Roth!
View all my reviews

Follow reederchik on Twitter

Comments

Popular Posts