Deadly Review

DeadlyDeadly by Julie Chibbaro

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I did not think that I was a big fan of historical fiction, but this book made me reconsider that. This book was just so so good. I really would like to read her other book now. She has me hooked!



Prudence lives in New York City during the early years of the 1900s. He father has been missing at war for several years and her brother died from an infected wound before her father went off to war. It is just Prudence and her mother. Her mother has Prudence attend a school that teaches her how to be a lady in society, with the hopes that she will have a better life than her parents. However, this school is not where Prudence wants to be. She is facinated with science and how things work in the body. She is determined to find a job where she will make a difference. She finds that job working for the Department of Health and Sanitation. Through her work, she comes across a case of typhoid that seems to point to one person as the carrier - "Typhoid Mary." Through this case and her job, Prudence learns a lot more about science and the human body than she ever dreamed but she also learns about human nature. She must question people's motives and decide for herself if the end justifies the means.



I am so not a big history buff. In fact, I am pretty sure I didn't pay attention at all during any of history classes. They completely bored me. So thanks to Julie Chibbaro, I had a small history lesson through her book. And it was fantastic! The whole premise was just fantastic. Go read it!



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts